This May, California will again be the backdrop of what promises to be one of the most exciting sporting events in the world of professional cycling. The Amgen Tour of California cycling road race will begin in Sacramento on Sunday, May 14th and conclude in Pasadena on Saturday, May 20th. Many of the world’s best professional teams with athletes from across the globe will race in 7 days over a statewide course of more than 700 miles of action filled racing. Below is a list of road closures that could impact your personal or business travel. Please consider your travel routes and times during the impacted street closures.
- Race will begin in Modesto at 11:45 a.m. on Monday, May 15.
- At approximately 1:40 p.m. the riders will reach Santa Clara County on San Antonio Valley Road.
- The race will enter San Jose via Mt. Hamilton Road and turn onto Quimby Road between 2:30-3:00 p.m.
- The race will turn onto Murillo Avenue in the Evergreen neighborhood between 2:40-3:10 p.m.
- The race will then proceed to Aborn Road, Voltaire Street and Altia Avenue before turning right onto Yerba Buena Road
between 2:45-3:30 p.m.
- The race will continue South before turning onto San Felipe Road between 2:45-3:35 p.m.
- The race will turn onto Metcalf Road between 2:55 – 3:45 p.m. before finishing at Motorcycle County Park (300 Metcalf Road) between 3:05-4:00 p.m.
- All listed times are approximate.
Notable Road Closures:
Metcalf Road and Vicinity (all times approximate):
Monday, May 15, 2017
- 5:00 AM to 10:00 PM: Metcalf Road from San Felipe to Malech
No vehicular traffic will be allowed during any given closure: Fire, police, and ambulance emergency vehicles will not be affected by road closures. Wherever possible, alternate vehicular routes will be posted. California Highway Patrol will accompany the race and make every effort to minimize the impact to residents, businesses and traffic.
Road Closures That May Impact You: Most of the route will be handled as a rolling street closure: as cyclists approach, streets will be closed to all vehicular traffic including VTA Buses; streets will re-open after the last cyclist passes a given area.
Major Points for Residents and Business Owners: On-coming traffic will be stopped about 15 minutes before the race. Traffic going the same direction of the race will be allowed until the race approaches. All driveways exiting onto the course will be closed as the race passes. Traffic will be allowed to cross the course until the race is approaching.
Tow Away Zones: Many areas along the race route will be posted as “Tow Zones”. If your street is posted as a “Tow Zone”, please adhere to dates and times posted since the “Tow Zones” will be strictly enforced and vehicles will be towed at owner’s expense.
Businesses: Due to restricted vehicular access, businesses are encouraged to schedule deliveries accordingly.
Spectators: Everyone is welcome to attend the Stage 2 Finish Festival at Motorcycle County Park atop Metcalf Road. We also encourage fans of all ages to line the race route to cheer on the riders as they compete in one of the world’s finest professional cyclist races. Details about the free shuttle to the Festival at the Finish Line are available at the links below. If you have any questions, additional information regarding the Amgen Tour of California is available at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com, https://amgentourofcaliforniasanjose.wordpress.com, or by calling (408) 288.2930.
We hope to see you there!